SAFE: our integrated approach
Successful products and services are SAFE – simple to use, advantageous in the market, feasible to deliver and exclusive enough to make a return on investment.
Bring Lucid an opportunity, problem or an idea. We will collaborate with you, providing imagination, insight and know-how in product and service development.
Our team creates clear, budgeted project plans and schedules, focussed on addressing needs and designed to mitigate risk. Each director has over 25 years of experience helping clients – from research, through to feasible and compliant development options, intellectual property strategies, brand, product, interaction and packaging design, to prototyping, test and production.
At every stage of a development you will be in regular communication with an experienced team of industrial designers, electronic and software engineers – all working to the SAFE process. Aligning industrial design to brand values we develop meaningful emotive connections with consumers, using evidence-based approaches to propose intuitive, elegant and safe technical solutions.
Using know-how and skills in communication, interaction, mechanical and electronic development, the team engineers things to work beautifully. Process know-how includes digital and analogue technologies, print, additive manufacturing, traditional moulding and fabrication techniques. Our team is particularly experienced in EMC and radio frequency design to meet international standards for hazardous and medical environments. Production contacts include trusted specialists in the UK, Europe and low-cost economies.
Working together, your brand, product, interaction and pack is designed to be more than compelling and cost-effective. It’s designed for sustainable commercial advantage.
700+ projects completed
20+ years of experience
12 areas of expertise
3 core market sectors
1 common goal
- Independent, fully-owned by our directors, self-funded and consistently profitable
- Founded in 2002, on the merger of two creative industrial design businesses
- Accredited to ISO 9001-2008 and ISO 13485 by BSI, ensuring full traceability
- Based in Manchester Science Park, at the heart of Manchester’s knowledge economy
- Close proximity to the University of Manchester and its research base
- Regularly contribute thought leadership pieces to industry publications
- Active members of the British Industrial Design Association, promoting industrial design best-practice
Contributing a wealth of technical, commercial and cultural insight to the design and development of brands, products and packaging.
We work with people in large and small organisations, who share our goal of delivering better user experiences.
Our team has over 20 years of experience in design and manufacture for the medical & healthcare, FMCG, consumer and commercial sectors.
A winning process
Seamless new product development projects that result from client collaboration and an iterative, evidence-based approach.
- Technical feasibility study
- ISO 13485 Compliance
- IP & commercial assessment
- Technology transfer
- Legislative framework
- Competitor audit
- Trends Awareness
- Ethnographic research
- Brand analysis
- Pack messaging hierarchy
- Flowcharting & scenario mapping
- Life Cycle Analysis
- Brainstorming & collaborative workshops
- Conceptual design options
- Design proposal
- Proof-of-principle test-rigs/circuits
- Sketch visualisation & mock-ups
- Ergonomics & human factors analysis
- Aesthetic development & modelmaking
- Colour, material & finish development
- Photorealistic visualisation
- Interface wireframing & mock-ups
- Mechanical engineering design
- Structural simulation & optimisation (FEA)
- Electronics (PCB design, firmware, software)
- Value engineering
- Reverse engineering
- Materials & production advice
- Mouldflow analysis
- 3D CAD development (Solidworks)
Prototyping & Test
- Prototype specification
- Pre-production prototyping (3D print, SLS, SLA, CNC machined parts)
- CNC Pack & print mock-ups
- ATEX, EMC & impact testing
- Prototype evaluation
- Brand/design guidelines
- Print artwork
- Interface & software specifications
- Electronic schematics & software specifications
- Mechanical specification drawings
- 3D CAD production data
- Component drawings
- Assembly drawings, guides and BOMs
- User Instruction manuals
- Low-volume batch production
- Supplier sourcing
- Production scheduling
- Pre-production batch management
- Production quality checking
Accreditation, Licensing & IP
- Investor-ready presentations
- Advice on licensing propositions
- IP value & scheduling advice
- Patent & design right drawings
- Accreditation & support advice
Let’s work together.
We’re a team of thinkers and makers, drawing on diverse practical expertise, long-standing industry experience and an extensive network of approved suppliers. Our team could be yours.
You can connect with us on LinkedIn.